Saturday, January 2, 2016

Lizard/Rozni's Game Day/ER for Finger Infection

Anthony had a basketball practice this morning, so Kaycee and I went to bathe a lizard. Buggle was well behaved and Kaycee even touched her! We spent lunch/nap time at Mom and Dad's house. I crocheted for a long time this afternoon, learning a new pattern for a scarf for Anthony! Hopefully it's manly enough, who even knows how to pick a manly scarf pattern? lol

This afternoon we went to the Rozni's annual game day. It was super fun, until I got a bummer call from the new caregiver at home. Grammy was struggling to get out of her chair, so the caregiver needed me to come home and help get her in bed. Mom agreed to go with me, so that she could drive my car back (so that Anthony could stay). Not 5 minutes later, while getting my children together and ready to leave, I got another phone call from Grammy's house phone. This time it was Kevin the paramedic. The caregiver had not waited for me to come home, instead she called the paramedics to come help get Grammy back into the chair. I can only imagine what that must have been like for Grammy. The paramedics rushing in, talking loudly and quickly, checking all her vitals without her understanding the situation. Kevin was looking for a base line in order to determine if they needed to transport her to the hospital. Grammy was acting completely normal as far as I could tell over the phone, but the paramedics had to stay until I arrived anyway. So mom and I rushed home. Sure enough, Grammy was acting very alert and normal, so the paramedics finished up their paperwork and headed on their way. Afterwards we discussed the situation with the caregiver. I believe that she tried to change Grammy in the chair because she was having a hard time standing her up, which caused her to slip farther off the chair. This was the first time this caregiver had ever worked with Grammy, so that probably didn't help the situation either. I'm glad Grammy didn't fall, but I don't think the paramedics were necessary. I hope they didn't scare her too much.

While at Game Day, my middle finger on my right hand started to hurt. By the time I got home it had started to swell. By the time Anthony got home it was tingly and pulsing. I did some research online and became concerned that it was a finger infection. So Anthony and I called the nurses hotline from our insurance, and sure enough the nurse thought it was a finger infection. She recommended that I go to ER because it sounded like the infection was spreading quickly and she was concerned that it would spread to my blood. So at 11pm, off I went to the ER. I called Mom and Dad because they were on their way home from Game Day. Mom met me at ER and kept me company while we waited. They were super busy and we could tell it was going to be a long night. They ordered an xray for my finger, which they could not do unless they were able to get a negative pregnancy test from me. I am NOT pregnant, thank you very much! However, after 2 hours of waiting in the lobby they brought me to a room because the doc was going to see me. Doc. E had jokingly told the nurses that he would only see an extra patient, after his shift was over, if they had a middle finger issue. Fortunately, that was me! After squeezing my finger he decided that I indeed had a finger infection, but less serious that the nurses hotline nurse thought. He canceled the xray and cut a small slit into the finger to drain it. Then he squeezed my finger like crazy to get all the puss out. To his benefit he did offer to let me squeeze it myself, which I thought was a particularly terrible idea. After this he sent me on my way! Thankfully, this was not a serious issue but it was kind of a bummer that I could have taken care of it at home, if I had known what to do. I am thankful that he was willing to look at my finger and got me out of the ER so quickly. 2am isn't too bad for a bedtime right?






(sorry for the inappropriate finger orientation)

No comments:

Post a Comment